My Elves Are Different

Saturday, 20 November 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part 1

This follows on from a tweet I made after seeing the movie.


Set design is one part of the Harry Potter films that I like a great deal. Production designer Stuart Craig has done a great job of bringing a world to life.

But I was rather annoyed to see Dumbledore's tomb (pictured above).

Is this the first time we've seen it? It looks like something you'd bury Mussolini in, not an eccentric old wizard!

What else in the quaint, gothic world of wizardry resembles this modernist monstrosity?

The only thing I can think of is the totalitarian statue erected in the Ministry of Magic during Deathly Hallows, and that is itself supposed to represent a sinister aesthetic break.

It seems as though the designer was completely ignorant of the look of Hogwarts, where Albus Dumbledore had happily spent much of his 115-year lifespan.

I'm too lazy to check the book to see how it is described, so maybe the tomb is true to Rowling's vision.

But either way I have no regrets that Lord Voldemort destroys it.

No comments: